Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Letter to a Dear Friend

Jessica Ann Johnson,

I write you this letter in the hopes when meet you will see that there hasn't been a year that I haven't thought of you, and asked God for your protection and peace. I saw you on the streets 3 years ago, looking much like that 13 year old girl I met so long ago, flannel shirt tied around your waist, flared jeans and a determined look on your face.   I know that there has been pain since the last time we saw each other, and I am so sorry that life has been so hurtful.

Every time I think of you I pray for you, every.stinking.time. I ask God to reveal his love for you in ways you will see it; and I ask God to open your eyes.  Sometimes belief comes before seeing, so I asked him to help you believe.  And I asked God to break the power of our youth pastor's (J's) words in your life.  When you tentatively gave your heart to Jesus, he took it Jess, with so. much. joy! And NOTHING can separate us from his love.  A scared, hurting, 15 year old girl's half hearted attempt to end her life is NOT the unforgivable sin. God longs to wrap you in his arms and hold you.  And that's what J should have done.  Not set your destination as "hell -  first class".   The Bible says it’s better for huge stone to be tied around someone’s neck and then tossed into the sea than to cause one of God's little ones (you) to sin (or walk away from him).  J is the one in trouble love.  Not you.

I regularly dream that you I meet by chance on some Minnesota street, and I hug you, and you let me.  I dream I come upon some interaction where you are in process of meeting Jesus again, maybe through conversation with friends, or with people out talking to folks on Nicollet Mall, and you see me and I tell you that you have never left my mind. And somehow you see God’s faithfulness.  I would love to be there for that.  But really, I just want you to know his love.

So my friend, I ask God to bless you, and to draw you to Him.  And I will keep asking. 

Until we meet.

Love,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment